Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Niche

If you had to choose locations for yourself where would you stay for the rest of your life (your home), for one month, one week and one day?

Hemmingway once said " You can not get away from yourself by moving from place to place". Although, I agree with Hemmingway I also find truth in saying that the world is an open book and if you dont travel its like only reading one page of it.
I find it very interesting that Toni entitled this question "Niche", because Niche not only requires your accpetance of the environment but also the environments acceptance of you.
So rather than continuing avoiding the actual question, I will progress.
If I were to live anywhere for the rest of my life, it would be Costa Rica. I often joke with people saying that it would be my dream to sleep in a hammock and eat fruit for the rest of my days on this earth. Although this is often said in a joking manner, its actually truth. I am addicted to the Costa Rican culture and their motto of "Pura Vida". Everyone just seems to move at a slower pace and the nostaligia of a time long before me creeps up when noting the lack of interstates, cell phones, and internet. The landscape with mountains, volcanoes, rainforests, and beaches is like what I might imagine heaven to be like. The siting of animals in natural habitats and the large variance of little critters everywhere is enough to make me explode in excitment. The "ticos" love for the outdoors is much like my own and their idea of fun and adventure is highly intriguing. You just can't help, but love Costa Rica. If I were to live there, I would want to be a white water rafting instructor. Sidenoting the amazing adventure of each day, I would be able to meet new people and educate them about the changes occuring in our world. For one moment, I could maybe touch their lives and help them realize that the world is not something to be owned, but to love.
When traveling away from my permant home in Costa Rica, I would love to spend a month or even a summer or two in North Carolina. The same ideal of adventure and love of nature extends through much of North Carolina. The Carolinians that I have met, especially those from the Asheville region, have volunteer simplicity to an art and understand the idea of being free. My ideals of the peace, granola culture extend through my very soul. It's a beautiful idea to escape from culture and embed yourself in being just yourself. The music that comes from the Asheville region speaks to me deeply and has walked me through the darkest valleys of my existence.
When vacationing for a week or two, I would love to visit Tuscany, the region in Italy. The italians, too, have the slow nature down to an art, and their love for vino is shared by me as well. My intrique of Tuscany began with the movie "Under the Tuscan Sun". Her life seemed so simple, yet so elegant and worthy.
Perhaps the hardest part of this question is where I would want to visit for a day. I suppose I would have to say the Grand Canyon. I have never been there, but I have a feeling I would love it. God's magnificient power radiates through his creation, and I believe the Grand Canyon would be one of those places in which his power would be intoxicating. I would also love to ride a donkey.
In closing, however, despite all of these idealisitc perceptions that I have of all of these beautiful places, the most important part would be to have my family and friends beside me. And, although, my incredulous belief that travel is necessity, I find God, my family, and my friends to be life-giving. My life would not be complete without them. God, family and friends are the true secret to "Pura Vida" no matter where you reside.

No comments:

Post a Comment